Healthy School Culture and Climate
When used school-wide in each classroom or through school-wide assemblies, the Kimochis program helps schools build a strong, positive, communicative school culture and climate.
- Researchers suggest that SEL skills and school climate are interdependent. SEL thrives in a positive school environment and facilitates a supportive climate (Zins, Elias, 2006).
- A safe, orderly school climate is one of several characteristics of schools that consistently show good achievement gains (Redding, 2006).
- The curriculum provides children, educators and parents a common vocabulary that allows everyone to “speak the same language” bridging school and home.
Positive Behavior Supports (PBS) & Response to Intervention (RTI)
Tier 1 – Universal: A classroom-based program that promotes social and emotional learning by teaching children the skills to understand their emotions, peacefully communicate feelings to others, develop positive relationships, manage conflicts and challenges, and make and keep friends.
Tier 2 – Prevention: A program to be used in small group settings to focus on specific skills that are especially problematic for students who require extra support. Children can be pre-taught concepts to prepare them for classroom-based intervention.
Tier 3 – Intervention: A program for a small subset of students who need intensive, individualized intervention to master skills (i.e., students with individualized support plans or Individualized Education Plans, IEPs).
The Kimochis curriculum can stand-alone or enhance and extend an existing character education program. Kimochis lessons teach children to be:
- Respectful: Use a respectful voice, face, words and actions; listen to upset feelings
- Responsible: Speak up for self or others; admit and own mistakes
- Resilient: Work through emotion alone or with help; bounce back from difficult moments
- Compassionate and Kind: Have empathy or concern for others; look for moments to be kind to self and others
Prevention and Early Intervention for Bullying
The Kimochis Keys to Communication are innovative communication tools that form the foundation of the curriculum. These Keys teach children to manage emotions that can lead to unkind behavior and/or bullying. By learning to use the Keys, children can communicate in ways that build confidence, self-esteem and strong relationships while reducing hurtful interactions and bullying. Administrators, teachers, parents, and students understand the distinction between “bullying” and normal unkind interactions. The Keys provide a collaborative and effective way to “bully-proof” your school.
Parenting with Kimochis and Emotion Coaching
“Kimochis are great because they get children to talk about their more ‘negative’ feelings with other kids and with teachers and parents. Here is a vehicle for coaching children about feelings, which is the royal road to these magic moments for connecting with our children.
— John Gottman, Ph.D., author Raising an Emotionally Intelligent Child and The Gottman Institute
Benefits of SEL and the Kimochis Curriculum for Schools
“Kimochis help to encourage an active concrete discussion about our abstract emotional reactions. We enjoy incorporating them into our daily treatment lessons. They are helpful in encouraging students to better recognize and articulate their own emotional responses as well as to increase their sensitivity to emotions of others.” — Michelle Garcia Winner, Founder of Social Thinking®