We are excited and honored that Kimochis has been awarded a 5-year contract to provide social emotional learning training and support materials for Department of Defense Education Activity (DoDEA) schools in the Domestic Dependent Elementary and Secondary Schools (DDESS) system. The DDESS system serves an estimated 28,500 students in over 50 schools located in seven states, Guam, and the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico! As we work with the schools in the DDESS system to implement the Kimochis Educator’s Tool Kit, we are also providing support materials and resources for military families to use at home.
The Kimochis Activity Kit for Military Families is a playful, yet effective, tool to build positive communication skills that create strong family bonds, increase resiliency, and raise the odds of successful reintegration after times of separation. It helps families:
- Manage emotions and challenges in a way that helps each family member feel understood
- Be supportive, understanding, and compassionate toward each other’s emotional needs
- Strengthen parent-child and parent-parent connections
- Stay unified during separations
- Celebrate and reintegrate the service member back home in a way that both honors and guides a positive transition
The Kimochis Activity Kit for Military Families includes a new Kimochis character—a dog named Hero; a 32-page hardcover picture book Hero’s Big Adventure; two sets of Kimochis feeling pillows; the Kimochis Nesting Heart; and an Activity Book filled with engaging ways for families to connect and communicate. The activities focus on strengthening the parent-child and parent-parent connections; helping the family stay unified during separations; and celebrating and reintegrating the service member back home in a way that both honors and guides a positive transition.